Frequently Asked Questions


Student Life

Where do I go to find out information and procedures regarding GW Housing?

Visit the Living @ GW Website where you can find residence halls mailing addresses, the GWorld Card, Mail and Package Services, etc.  You can also find additional information about residential services provided.

Where do I get textbooks, computers, school supplies or a GW sweatshirt?

These items are available to purchase at the GW Bookstore.

My student doesn't know what they want to do after they graduate.  Where can I get help?

Find all the information you need to know about life after graduation as well as employment while at GW from the Center for Career Services.

  • Find out about internships, work-study or part-time jobs
  • Not sure what you want to do with the rest of your life?  Receive personalized career counseling.  Just click on the link above to find out where, when and how to get additional information.

My student wants to study abroad! Where can I get more information on the study abroad programs?

Visit the Office for Study Abroad to find out information regarding the policies, programs, security, costs, FAQ's, etc.  Should you have any specific questions regarding study abroad, please contact the office at 202-994-1649.

Is there a current parent I can speak with to ask general questions?  Such as "how much money should I give my student for allowance"?  Or "can you recommend a shipping/storage company"? 

You can speak with a member of the Parents' Association.  Click here to submit your question.  

Where do I go to find out about student involvement opportunities?

From first year freshmen, to transfer students, to graduate, distance, and professional students, the Center for Student Engagement tailors services and events to reach all populations. Visit CSE to learn more about the 400+ student organizations, Greek life, leadership programs, and residential engagement.

Back to top


How can I add more money to my student's GWorld account? 

Visit the GWorld Card program to find out where all the money you have added to your student’s card in the past is going (with your student's permission!). You will also find out how to report a lost or stolen card, where the card can be used and a list of frequently asked questions. For additional information, you can reach the GWorld Office directly at 202-994-1795.

How can I find out about my student's tuition bill or account?

Check out the website for Colonial Central
 This website will give you a host of information regarding your students' account.  Including, but not limited to:

  • Maintaining a record of students' charges and payments
  • Address change request
  • Applying payments to your account (e.g. Third Party sponsors, employee Benefits)
  • Refunding overpayments

Where can I find information about loans or scholarships?

Visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance website to find out information about loans, scholarships, emergency loans and any additional information pertaining to Financial Aid.

How can I get access to my student’s records?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, seeks to guarantee both a student’s right of access to records and the confidentiality of student information. Institutions may not disclose information contained in education records without the student’s written consent except under certain conditions. A student’s record may be released to parents only if one of the following conditions has been met: 1. Through the written consent of the student; or 2. By submission of evidence that the parents declared the student as a dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax form, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Section 152.  To learn more, and to view the consent form, visit the Colonial Central website.

Is there a Tuition Refund Plan (insurance)?

An elective tuition refund insurance plan is available through the Student Accounts Office. The Tuition Refund Plan is administered and underwritten by A.W.G Dewar, Inc., 4 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169. You may call A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. at (617) 774-1555 for more information or contact them via email at [email protected]. To participate, you must complete an application and payment of premium prior to the opening date of the semester. Information about the plan, brochures, and application mailers are sent to all students from the Student Accounts Office each summer.

Back to top


Who does my student contact for advising?

The links below will take you directly to the advising office for the specific school. 

How does my student withdraw from classes this semester?

Your student should consult with his/her Academic Dean, Director of Advising, and/or the University Bulletin for full information regarding withdrawals.

Students can voluntarily withdraw from individual or all classes without academic penalty during the first two weeks of classes (drop/add period) in any semester. After the second week, withdrawing from any courses will require working with theAcademic Dean or Director of Advising in your particular academic college or school.

Students can completely withdraw from any classes before the end of the eighth week in the semester by completing a form available in the Office of the Registrar and with all Academic Deans' Offices.

How does my student withdraw if she/he has a medical or mental health problem?

In the event of a serious medical/mental health condition or family emergency, a student may request a withdrawal from classes.

All decisions about medical/mental health withdrawals are determined by the student’s Academic Dean or Director of Advising. Be sure to encourage your student to continue to attend classes and complete requirements until he/she finds out if the Dean or Director of Advising has approved the petition to withdraw.

How does a student obtain supporting documentation for my withdrawal petition?

If your students' withdrawal petition is purely for physical health reasons or for mental health concerns, he/she may take a note from the doctor directly to your Academic Dean or Advisor where he/she will complete a petition for withdrawal. Alternately, your student can be evaluated by the Colonial Health Center who will forward a withdrawal recommendation to the Academic Dean or Advisor.

Your student may call the Division of Student Affairs for guidance or more complex questions about the medical/mental health withdrawal procedures.

Will my student get a refund if he/she takes a withdrawal?

Refunds are granted based on the scale posted by the Office of the Registrar. Generally, refunds are not granted after the end of the fourth week of classes. Requests for refunds after that time can only be granted by the student’s Academic Dean or Director of Advising.

How does my student take an incomplete or get an excused absence in class?

Incompletes and excused absences can only be granted by a professor. The Office of Parent Services cannot intervene with excused absences or incompleted with professors; however, you student may contact his/her Academic Dean or Director of Advising for assistance with excused absences or questions about grade disputes or other academic concerns.

To whom should my student bring a concern about a professor?

Concerns or complaints about the course content, grading, class requirements or your professor’s behavior and teaching methods should be directed first to the professor, then to the academic department, and finally to the Academic Dean.

Where does my student turn if he/she been discriminated against by a professor or staff member?

If your student believes he/she was discriminated against or sexually harassed by a faculty or staff member, they should review the Guide to Student Rights and Responsibilities and call the Division of Student Affairs at (202) 994-6710 to consult about your rights and the procedures available to investigate and resolve the issues.

Where does my student get recommendation/Dean's disciplinary clearance for a job, graduate school or law school applications?

All certification of clean disciplinary records for employment or graduate applications can be obtained from the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

My problem seems very complex and confusing.  It also involves a lot of different offices and I just don't know where to start.  What should I do?

The Office of Student Support and Family Engagement is available to help sort out complex issues and know what office to contact for further help or guidance. Feel free to contact our office at (202) 994-2305.

What tutoring opportunities are available?

Your student can request a tutor or attend drop-in tutoring through the GW Tutoring Initiative.  Eckles Library on the Mount Vernon campus also offers free tutoring in some subjects. Some departments also have lists of tutors that can help. Finally, if your student needs help with a writing assignment, be sure to send them to the Writing Center located in Gelman Library and Eckles Library!

Help! My student is unable to get into the classes he or she needs to take!

Make sure your student checks to see if the course opens back up during registration hours, as they often do. It is also always a good idea to email professors to see if they have extra space. For a full list of options, contact the Office of the Registrar or an advisor for your student’s specific school.

Where can I find the Commencement schedule?

The commencement schedule can be viewed on the Commencement website. Information on the site will be updated as the schedule, events, and speakers are finalized.

Back to top

Health and Wellness

Where can my student go to speak with someone when they are in distress?

Mental Health Services offers a broad range of services to help students with academic and personal issues.  The UCC also offers telephone consultations, referral information, and educational presentations relevant to student life for the campus community at large (students, faculty, staff, families, departments and organizations).  If you would like to speak with a counselor directly from the University Counseling Center please call (202) 994-5300.

Where can I get information about health care services or the student health insurance program?

To find out information about the health insurance programs offered at the University, please click on the link Student Health Insurance. The Medical Services website will provide you information about clinic hours, walk-in times, what to do in the event of an emergency and other important information relating to healthcare services here at GW. 

How do I receive alerts when there is an emergency on or around campus?

Family members can have their emails and phones linked to GWAlert, an emergency communication system. To link your email and/or phone, you or your student must log in to banweb, scroll down to GW Alert Emergency Notification and enter the information there.

My student qualifies for a Federal Work Study position. How can he or she find out what positions are available?

Information on Federal Work Study positions can be found through the Center for Career Services website. Job openings are posted on the University’s job search database, GWork. GWork is also very useful for finding internship opportunities, non FWS positions, and quick cash positions, like babysitting!

Back to top

Visiting GW

My student will not be home for their birthday!  How do I send a special cake or gift to them?

Do you want to let your student know you are thinking of them and would like to show them by sending a gift basket or some other edible delight.  Go to Gift University and send something special!

I want to mail a letter/package to my student. Where do I send it?

To mail an item to your student, use the format found on the Living at GW website.

Where should I stay when I go to Washington D.C. to visit my student?  

The main GW website features hotels located near each of GW's campuses.  In addition, this new website provides easy and convenient access to hotel information, competitive rates, availability, and visitors can easily make reservations directly through the website.  

Looking for information about parking on Campus?

Check out the website for GW Parking Services.  You will be able to find out about parking rates and the garages that are available for students and family. 

Back to top