Sample Scenarios

Below are examples of what you may witness as a faculty member and how you can best support that student

I’m not sure what’s going on, but my student has been behaving differently than they have been all semester.
If a student is displaying irrational or out-of-the-ordinary behavior in class, is consistently absent, or their academic performance is declining you can support the student in a number of ways. Reaching out to the student to express concern and understanding may aid the student in seeking out resources on campus. You may also submit a CARE report about the student to ensure that they receive outreach from the appropriate campus partner.

My student has approached me about difficulties they have been having outside the classroom (social/adjustment concerns, family concerns, etc.)
Students often consider faculty members as another support resource and may come to you for assistance when dealing with concerns. It is important to provide that student a safe space to express their concerns and offer them support and resources that may help them. Communicate with the student that you understand their concerns and assure them that there is help available to them across campus. Make sure you are clear with the student about your ability to support them, set boundaries and expectations, do not promise a student confidentiality.[1]

My student has been acting disruptively in class, even after I have spoken with them about this behavior.
If a student is behaving disruptively in class or exhibits a threat to themselves or others, it is appropriate to call GWPD at 202-994-6111 to file a police report about this student.

My student has approached me about possible discrimination, harassment, sexual assault/violence, or stalking.
The Title IX office at GW can assist students who believe that they have been discriminated against, or harassed based on sex, in addition to sexual assault and violence. If a student believes they have been discriminated against they can file a grievance through the Division of Student Affairs.

My student has exhibited signs of potential depression, self-harm, or suicidal risk.
If a student has shown changes in appearance, behavior, personal hygiene, or academic performance and conduct, and you believe they may be exhibiting depressive symptoms it may be helpful to reach out to them to offer care and concern. You may encourage the student to visit Mental Health Services at the Colonial Health Center. If you feel that the student is exhibiting suicidal thoughts or feelings, take these behaviors very seriously and seek immediate consultation. Call GWPD at 202-994-6111 if there is a threat to the student’s safety.[2]

[1] Adapted from Kansas State University “Responding to Student Concerns” 
[2] Adapted from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, “Recognizing and Helping Students in Crisis