University Resources for Hurricanes Harvey or Irma or the Western Wildfires

Our hearts go out to the communities and families affected by Hurricanes Harvey or Irma or the Western wildfires. The George Washington University stands ready to assist those students in need.

Mental Health Services – Colonial Health Center

Over the next few weeks, students may experience a number of reactions in the aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey or Irma or the Western wildfires. Having a reaction is both normal and expected. Sometimes emotional aftershocks (or stress reactions) appear immediately, or they may appear in a few hours or during the next several days.

Mental health professionals are always available to speak to GW students and consult with faculty, staff, or parents about any mental health-related concerns. Mental Health Services (MHS) at the Colonial Health Center is available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 202-994-5300. 

The majority of MHS services are free, including the initial consultation, 24/7 crisis support (in person or by phone), and the first several individual counseling sessions. Everyone who needs care receives it and, if there are financial concerns, a sliding scale can be arranged for MHS service fees.

Additional self-help resources are available on the MHS website:

Student Support and Family Engagement

Students, faculty, staff, families, and other university constituents can reach the Division of Student Affairs if they are concerned about a student. The Office of Student Support and Family Engagement can provide resources to families affected and members of the CARE Network across campus provide support to students brought to our attention.

If you or someone you know has been personally affected by Hurricanes Harvey or Irma or the Western wildfires please file a CARE report at:

For more information, please contact Student Support and Family Engagement at (202) 994-6710 or by emaiil to

Academic Assistance

If you face any academic difficulty, talk with your professors for extensions or incompletes and work with your Academic Advisor for documentation and support.

Financial Assistance

If your financial circumstances have changed, please speak with a representative from Student Financial Assistance for options and support. Student Financial Assistance can be reached by phone at (202) 994-6620 or by email to

Other Resources

Seek out the Center for Student Engagement staff in your residence halls for support and to access additional university resources.